Was it an accident?

Question: My doctor said my work caused my back problem; my supervisor says if I didn't fall down or if nothing fell on me, then it wasn't an accident and I can't get help through workers' comp. Is this true?

Answer: In South Carolina, the word "accident" is defined in a way that isn't what we usually think of when we hear that word. Generally, for an injury or ailment to be covered by workers' comp, it has to be something caused by work activity that was not expected. It is not necessary to have something fall on you or for you to fall; sometimes injuries happen over a long period of time. By all means, give notice and file a claim within the necessary time frame. 

-------------------

Questions & Answers on this blog are not specific legal advice.  See note on right.

No comments: